Egusi is a popular soup in Nigeria. It is made from ground melon seeds. Egusi contains dietary fibre which aids in digestion.
This is Egusi soup as prepared by our guest on Ongacious. Egusi is a popular soup in Nigeria. It is made from ground melon seeds. Egusi contains dietary fibre which aids in digestion. It helps to improve appetite. Also, Egusi contains antioxidant properties which help prevent cells from damage. This recipe can be made in just under 60 minutes.
- Parboil assorted meat with ONGA GOG, a cube of Onga chicken and salt for about 15 minutes
- Put the ground egusi in a bowl, add little salt, add very little water and mix to make a strong mold
- Continue molding and squeezing until you start to feel and see the oil from the egusi
- set aside in the bowl
- Pour meat stock in a pot, pour fresh pepper, add the palm oil and allow to boil for 5 minutes
- Mold egusi into big balls and drop in the pot, do not stir, cover the pot and allow to boil for another 5 minutes
- Now reduce the heat and continue boiling for 10-15 minutes until the egusi balls look fluffy and whitish
- Gently use the back of your spoon to press down on one ball and if it feels fluffy, then its ready .
- Put in one ONGA chicken cube and salt to taste
- Add the tete leaves without stirring, pour in parboiled meat without stirring still, add dried fish
- Gently stir all together and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes